The ELS PhD program admits one entering cohort annually for programs of study beginning in the fall semester. The deadline for applications is December 15 prior to the August in which a student begins classes. The ELS PhD program usually notifies applicants of admissions status no later than the following April 15.
- Initiate an online ASU Graduate Admissions Application through the Graduate Education website.
- Complete the “General Information Section.” You will be asked to enter information on universities that you’ve attended, GPAs and GRE scores. The GRE General Exam is the only standardized test required of all ELS PhD program applicants.
Complete the "Degree Section."
- Click "Find Your Degree/Certificate Program."
- Select “Interdisciplinary Studies” as your degree program category.
- Select “Tempe” as your degree program campus.
- Select “Environmental Life Sciences (PhD)” as your degree program.
- Identify the specific ELS faculty member(s) you are interested in working with. This will ensure that these faculty members see your application and can participate in admissions and funding decisions.
You will need three letters of recommendation from people who can speak to your academic experiences, qualifications and potential. Recommendation letters are completed online; hard copy letters are not necessary.
- You will need to provide current email addresses for your recommenders.
- Let your recommenders know to expect an email from ASU with instructions on how to upload a letter of recommendation for you.
- Prepare and upload a "Statement of Research Interests and Goals."
- Prepare and upload a current Curriculum Vitae or Resume.
- Prepare and upload the Environmental Life Sciences Academic Record Form.
- Submit the online ASU Graduate Admissions Application.
- Pay the application fee.
- Have universities mail official transcripts directly to the ASU Graduate Education. More information on international academic credentials.
- Have ETS (Educational Testing Service) provide ASU with official GRE scores. The GRE General Exam is the only standardized test required of all ELS PhD program applicants. The ETS Institutional Code for ASU is 4007. Enter the Department Code as 0000.
- The Financial Guarantee Form must be completed by anyone who will attend ASU while holding an F-1 or J-1 visa. Financial Guarantee Form and additional information.
- If appropriate, have official TOEFL or IELTS scores sent to ASU Graduate Education at the address above. Most applicants from a country in which the native language is not English must submit TOEFL or IELTS scores.